BY JENAI DOMINIQUE
Just landed a new job or looking to refine your wardrobe for the office?
Don’t worry. It’s handled, thanks to Olivia Pope.
Her sophisticated signature style on the hit show “Scandal” has been the go-to inspiration for working women everywhere. Power dressing never looked this good, and we’re giving you 5 staple pieces to effortlessly emulate Olivia Pope’s office style.
Women wear the pants in the office just as much as men, and Olivia Pope proves time and time again that trousers are just as sexy as skirts and dresses in the workplace.
Good fit is definitely most important when it comes to this wardrobe staple. Investing in a good tailor would be very beneficial if you want to make a statement. Opting for trousers can be exciting seeing as there are several different styles to cater to everyone.
Olivia prefers a wide leg or impeccably tailored straight-cut style, but depending what tickles your fancy, cropped trousers and high waist trousers are also great options to add some feminine flare.
THE POWER SUIT
Precise and effortless, a polished head to toe look is always required in the workplace. Taking this workwear staple to a whole new level, Olivia Pope has given the power suit a completely new name.
Reign supreme at the office by sporting a head turning pant suit. Say goodbye to the outdated, boxy shapes and opt for silhouettes with modern, feminine cuts. For a unique twist, look for modified structures like cropped trousers, wide leg bottoms or a trendy, peplum jacket to accentuate the waist. Impeccable tailoring is key to pull this look off and will let others know you mean business.
Forever a timeless staple in the fashion world, Olivia Pope does again by showing us how to take this must have wardrobe essential one step further.
The trench just makes everything seem more put together, hence the reason why Olivia Pope kills the game every single time she’s in one. In addition the the classic structure of the trench, Olivia shows us how to incorporate some feminine touches to take it up a notch. If you’re looking for a more feminine style, try ones with above the knee hemlines with unique accents, prints and belts that accentuate the waist.
THE STATEMENT COAT
First impressions are vital to great success for working women these days— rocking a statement coat can set the tone to do the talking before you even open your mouth.
There’s nothing muted about the coats Olivia Pope wears when taking care of business, and she’s giving us life with a variety of coat inspirations any woman can be confident wearing. Polished, streamlined silhouettes, oversized collars and capes are must haves if you want your peers to know you take no nonsense.
Olivia Pope always means business, and when the jacket comes off, what lies underneath is essential.
Soften structured suits and silhouettes with a luxe, feminine blouse. Fabrics like silk and satin are one of the many ways you can incorporate texture and contrast too add depth to your work attire.
What better way to look fabulous while getting down to business?!
Below are some links to more style inspo to help channel your inner Pope.
How will you take over the office?
- Marni Tailored Boot Cut Trouser > Here
- Derek Lam Wide Leg Tailored Trouser > Here
- Andrea Marques High Waist Tailored Trouser > Here
- Proenza Schouler Wide Leg Trouser > Here
- Novis Wide Leg Trouser > Here
- Alexander McQueen Pantsuit > Here
- Amanda Wakely > Here
- Mauro Grifoni > Here
- Richmond X > Here
- Armani Collezioni > Here
- River Island Beige Cape Trench Coat > Here
- MaxMara Blue Trench Coat > Here
- Madewell Parcel Striped Crepe Trench Coat > Here
- Burberry Prorsum Cotten Trench > Here
- Burberry Brit Hooded Shell Trench Coat > Here
- Neiman Marcus Cashmere Double-Face Two-Tone Wrap Coat $582 > Here
- T Tahari Oversized Collar Wrap Coat > Here
- Karen Miller Wide Collar Belted Coat > Here
- Asos Skater Coat with Paneled Detail > Here
- Zac Posen Wrap Coat > Here
- Karen Millen Belted Coat > Here
- Merchant Archive Pussy Bow Blouse > Here
- Haider Ackerman Silk- Satin Shirt > Here
- Alessandra Rich Pinstripe Blouse > Here
- Bouchra Jarrar Silk-Satin Shirt > Here
- Haider Ackerman Scarf Collar Silk Blouse > Here